CIDC 2017 Keynote Address with Robert Zaunere, President of SoftVelocity

IIRC, it’s been over 5 years since the last release of Clarion.Net. Apart from empty promises made at CIDCs, Bob Z stopped replying to posts in the Clarion.Net newsgroup years ago. And yet, SV have the hide to continue to sell the product. Very dodgy business practices.

Thank you dcash.
Hence the next question: what he was talking about in that presentation ?

If you believe Bob’s presentation, he’ll make the first new release of Clarion.Net for the last 5 years, within the next 2 weeks. Do you believe it?

In any event, it’s a half-arsed half-finished product, which without the level of template support of Clarion/32 isn’t of much use or interest to anyone. Microsoft give .Net compilers away for free. Why would you purchase a barely (if at all) supported one from SV, the only possible benefit of which is that you can hand code using the antiquated Clarion language? Without a proper set of shipping templates and a code generator on par with Clarion/32, it’ll never go anywhere.

My guess is that the Russians are no longer involved, and Diego simply doesn’t have the time to get up to speed and do something with it.

If anybody else has other opinions, let’s hear them!

Thank you for your opinion dcash. I agree with you.

But I’ve to say that there’s a sentence that Zaunere wrote on the Clarion blog that intrigue me a little bit:

We are supporting a new feature in the next release, during the compilation of the Clarion code we’ll generate C# code and project file (into a separate folder) that provides the exact same functionality as your Clarion code. That means for those who want to work with WPF or share code with a C# project, you can easily bring the code into VS.

Since my team has been asked to convert part of the code of our application (the calculation layer) to C#, I’m curious about this feature. For obvious reasons I’m very skeptical it can be useful, but who knows ?

When or whether it will eventuate is of course a big unknown, but it sounds like it may be a way for SV to save face to some small extent. It’s like they’re saying “We know Clarion.Net is next to useless as a development environment, but here’s something that can convert Clarion code to C# and allow you to use Visual Studio to carry on your project”.

What I don’t quite understand is that it would seem to encourage people to move permanently away from Clarion. I mean, who is going to write Clarion code, have it converted to C#, work on it in Visual Studio, and then go back to the beginning and write more Clarion code. I don’t get it. However, if you are trying to move away from Clarion, it might make life easier. We’ll see :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree, it’s a strange move.

I don’t want to move away from Clarion, but I’m forced to. All Softvelocity decisions are pushing me that way.

We’ll see.