Clarion Community Edition - Clarion

2 Likes

It would be great if people could leave comments, ask questions etc on the Blog - but it’s not possible to do that.

How one knows when SV added new blog post? They don’t notify.

I connected the clarionsharp.com RSS feed to the CW-Talk slack account so I can abuse slack as an RSS reader :slight_smile:

Since their posts are so infrequent I just manually link to them here on Clarionhub (plus, with discourse it’s just pasting a link… the rest is automgical).

They are welcome as an official sponsor here. Can someone convince them, anyone got their ear at the devcon? 700+ registered members ain’t too bad. Plus this is where newbies are coming… perfect for launching a community edition :slight_smile:

I think SV would have a much better chance with this edition if the ODBC driver was included. Why not give those testing the waters an opportunity to easily access existing SQL tables and really learn what Clarion can do for them? The template restriction itself should be enough to prompt a purchase IF testers like what they see.

Just subscribe to RSS:
“Clarion & Feed” https://clarionsharp.com/blog/feed/
“Clarion & Comments Feed” https://clarionsharp.com/blog/comments/feed/

1 Like

The Graham notification system has been very reliable.

1 Like

But who notifies the notifier :heart_eyes:

Bit disappointed with the time scales though.
CIDC has been planned for ages so surely SoftVelocity could have scheduled it so that the community edition and AnyScreen could have be both announced and available from the KeyNote.

Just imagine the impact if Robert had stood there and clicked on an ‘Update’ button and then shown the Community Edition download page and AnyScreen on the SoftVelocity shop with full details ready to go.

You need a bit of showmanship and pizzazz when doing these things IMHO

Graham,

Reality check - you’ve been around long enough to know SoftVelocity, showmanship, and good timing do not exist in the same universe.

Well things were certainly better in Bob Foreman’s day :smile:

Anyway - new day, new Blog…

We are asking for some help from the Clarion developer community. In my prior post I announced the new Clarion Community Edition along with a new free online training course. What we could use some help with is creating some new example/demo Apps. Any App that shows off some specific functionality of Clarion, whether its simple or advanced, would be welcomed. The App can use either the ABC or Clarion template chains, and ideally uses the SQLite driver. If you use a different driver its no problem, we’ll change it to use SQLite. And it doesn’t have to be an .APP, hand coded programs are also welcome. We are looking to get some nice new apps with a modern looking UI — this will help the launch of the Community Edition. If you’re able to help us with this project we ask that you zip up your contribution and upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive (or your own server) and then email [email protected] with the URL and a note on what your example demonstrates. Thanks in advance to everyone who is able to help us!
Endquote

Hello, I literally just discovered this forum, it feels almost impossible to find Clarion people.

I programmed in Clarion years ago and stopped at C9, as my studies were all .NET and all the newer stuff.

I have never found anything quite like Clarion, so have dipped my toe back in the waters to discover that a Community Edition will be released which I am very interested in testing out!

Im in Australia of which Clarion devs are almost non existent.

1 Like

Hey, welcome @Dredious ! I too am based on oz and in fact we have a private group here that collects together other Australian based folks. I will add you now!

I’m an Aussie. Can I be added please?

1 Like

Done! I will @ you over there so you know where to go.

Anyscreen is available now. It’s called Thin@ https://thinetsolution.com/thinet/ and SV will honour existing Thin@ subscriptions. AnyScreen is a partnership between the two companies.

In this case I’m glad SV didn’t ship the Community Edition at the conference, because they wanted to support the old Clarion.DAT files instead of SQLite. Conference feedback resulted in the change to SQLite instead.

I don’t know why they didn’t just use the default Topspeed files, because it would result in much less pain when people migrate from the Community Edition to the Professional Edition. But the cost of the upgrade from Community to Professional Edition is going to be $250 (instead of $1000) so I guess the pain is worth it. Enterprise Edition is $500 (instead of $2000)

2 Likes

I’m amazed that no one has a dedicated YouTube Channel on Clarion, similar to what is out there for every other language. Unless there is and i can’t find it.

Clarion really did and does need exposure of which there is nil with regards to the current market of tools.

Hi Dred,

There are a couple channels on YourTube, but if you want a large video repository then the place to go is www.ClarionLive.com. This hosts multiple webinars every week, and all are recorded and available for download.

More recently we’ve been streaming the webinars to Youtube Live - the channel is here. https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarionLive

You might also be interested in the (free sessions from) CIDC 2019 here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJdF39MWY0vNRDubnfRb_A
or the (free sessions from CIDC 2017) here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2urTFGTNETvYr70WFncmw

For what it’s worth the SV channel is here;

Cheers
Bruce

3 Likes

You can pretty much guarantee SV will gimp the community edition so badly that it will only show off Clarion in the worst light possible. The inability to use 3rd party templates (even free ones) and so forth, just makes the entire exercise a waste of time. The only thing it will do is make prospective users think “Thank God I didn’t purchase it!”

The excruciatingly drawn out death of Clarion continues.

1 Like

When the main menu and side windows cease to live their lives separately from the APP editor. I hope everyone understands what I’m asking in my clumsy English !?
Years passed and nothing changes. It’s a shame to show such jambs in Clarion Community Edition!

2 Likes