Clarion Community Edition - Clarion

Maybe this November …

One year after the promisse!!!
Happy Birthday!!!

No community - no edition.

2 Likes

All good points Bruce, but one assumes such things were fully considered before making the announcement. As I recall, Community Edition was not just an off-the-cuff idea or remark at DevCon. That being said, I’d much rather see resources go to AnyScreen.

1 Like

Hi Busker,

There is sooo much to unpack in your post, that I fear this reply will be long. I apologise in advance.

Firstly, let’s clear something up, there is no “subscription model” - despite what is in the various names. Yes, it’s confusing, but if you purchased a “Core subscription program” upgrade today - to say Clarion 11 - you’d get the current Clarion 11 build, plus a years worth of updates. Since it’s late in the C11 cycle there probably aren’t that many of those left anyway. You will of course then be free to use Clarion 11 forever. (You’ll actually, probably, get more than this, but for now let’s not confuse the issue with “more”)

For contacting SV, most people have success with [email protected] or [email protected] - I’m not sure if they have a phone number anymore. If you don’t get a reply check your spam filter, and maybe whitelist the SoftVelocity domain.

Now to the lengthy part;

… until I can assess the current day product will allow me to achieve what I want to.

I don’t know what you want to create, but I suspect the Community Edition will be inadequate to make this assessment.
Of course since it does not yet exist, we do not yet know what exact form it will take. So I am speaking here based on the announced feature set - which of course may be different when it does ship.

It’s important to understand that Clarion is a platform - not a “complete product.” To use an imperfect analogy, you can install say Windows 10, and you could absolutely use it to do lots of things without installing any other software. It has built-in browser, email and photos. But of course it’s a lot more powerful if you add other programs (Excel, Word, etc) to it. And it’s hard to evaluate Windows as being suitable for much without having access to those programs.

By comparison Clarion is a platform that allows you to create programs. Equally it has a very powerful facility for plugging in external code - things you might find on github, or clarionlive, or via one of the many 3rd party suppliers. (Of which I am one.) Just like many answers to Windows questions result in “get this software from xxx” so many programming questions result in “get this library” etc. Of course you don’t have to use a library - you can code anything you like from scratch - but it is supremely inefficient, and uneconomical, to do so.

On the other hand, you’ve survived this long on Clarion 4, so I’m guessing you pretty much used what was “in the box” - so it might be ideal for your purposes.

Given the other limitations in the community edition (specifically file driver limitations) it may or may not be what you are looking for.

cheers
Bruce

1 Like

Hi Richard - good to see you here. I miss those days when I was teaching Clarion at Cambridge University. (see what I cunningly did there? :slight_smile: )

Probably the best Clarion channel on YouTube is https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarionLive where we post many many videos covering all things clarion, including templates, libraries, techniques, questions and so on. It’s “somewhat” catalogued at www.clarionlive.com, so for example, for a series on templates (specifically writing templates) see
Episodes

We do also have videos there on pretty much all our products (not to mention that many other suppliers do the same) - so there’s not exactly a shortage of material in this regard.

Templates are one part of the way Clarion can be extended, but a lot of libraries are primarily classes with minimal amounts of template glue. We’ve not had any indication that Community Edition would ship without support for external classes, so there are still many 3rd party libraries that could be used, with minimal work, in Community Edition, much as those accessories are currently used by hand-coders in completely hand-coded applications.

1 Like

We’ve played around with transcriptions in the past. It seems to work better on American accents - so things John says seem more-or-less accurate, whereas things I say comes out mostly gibberish. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of the speech is technical in nature using typically technie anagrams, clarion words, and so on. This hinders transcribers.

It’s not something we’ve over-pursued though, mostly because we’re all just volunteers and have limited time available.

go for it. recordings are either downloadable in some cases, or on youtube. (see www.clarionlive.com for links)

This would be the wrong conclusion. There’s no way a human was involved for a video with so few views.

no - and apparently I have to pad the answer to at least 20 chars, so with that said, no.

1 Like