Diego's Departure and the future of SV

Thanks for clarifying what I was saying.

my understanding of the process of compiling Clarion# code is:

• Clarion# is converted to C# code in temporary files somewhere
  • The C# is then compiled
  • The temporary files are deleted.

So there’s no opportunity to work with the C# code
In my opinion having a normal process where Clarion# was converted to C#
and then just continue working in C# would have been a significant improvement.

Not that any of this matters today.

Personally I hate .Net/CLR in general. Native code kicks butt. However, it was at least a way for SV to start fresh. Unfortunately the vision they had for Clarion.Net was either shit-house to begin with, or they didn’t communicate it to the Russians correctly. In the end there was no point continuing, because it wasn’t really headed in the right direction. Of course SV won’t even talk about it now, because they don’t want to admit that it’s dead and that they stuffed up big time. Of course everyone knows it is, and that they did, so in the end they just end up looking like complete tossers.

In the Netherlands Radventure once had a clarion template named Fenix for ASP.NET Generation. The makers made a complete new tool GenWise Studio with a NHibernate Template.
https://genwise.com

Note I was replying to a post that seems to have been removed/altered

Dirk - actually the work was extremely complex, generating 3D models of buildings into an extremely complex international industry standard. The challenges we massive, but the hardest parts had to do with inconsistent interpretation of the models by 3rd party products. That said, yes I did find problems in the RTL, and reported them along with work arounds.

So why not have the best of both worlds, write in C# but compile to .NET native.

Well Said Bruce, fully agree.

1 Like

In what world is C# the best of anything?

Hey Folks,

I’m gonna close this topic now. Everyone has had a piece and I think it’s time to move on :slight_smile:
We can discuss the merits or not of different languages, text editors or whatever elsewhere. Please start a topic and discuss! But… I just have to say, spaces not tabs :boom:

5 Likes