Extra "where" clause does not get appened to Select statement

NickP:

since it seems to be largely about me being criticised for choosing the particular path

Who has been criticising you?

NickP:

No. Is it relevant?

How do I know its you and not a govt sock puppet? One of the reasons for not using SV’s unencrypted news groups is that I’ve noticed posts have been edited when I’ve download the ngs onto a new machine and those edited posts would have caused bugs, so I’m wondering why would someone want to introduce bugs into code? Maybe a spook or hacker perhaps?

NickP:

I don’t understand why this topic has become what feels to me like a personal attack.

What gave you that impression? Something I said?

Previous Replies

• We were, but there’s always deviations in topics.

But this particular deviation is not one that I wished to go down, since it seems to be largely about me being criticised for choosing the particular path to achieve the outcome I desire.

• Talking of which, can you remember the wallpaper on your laptop at Kings Langley?

No. Is it relevant?

• I might have missed that bit then, perhaps you werent specific enough.

I wrote “I can achieve EXACTLY THE SAME outcome by using views on the single table in SQL Server.”

I don’t understand why this topic has become what feels to me like a personal attack. Have I done something that’s caused you offense? Given your reference to Kings Langley, did I perhaps do something to offend you a decade or two ago?

NickP:

I thought we were discussing whether anyone knew if – and if so, how - the ‘extra WHERE clause’ feature work

We were, but there’s always deviations in topics. Talking of which, can you remember the wallpaper on your laptop at Kings Langley? :wink:

NickP:

No need to guess! I did say that that was what I was doing instead,

I might have missed that bit then, perhaps you werent specific enough.

• Thats our differences.

Oh, was that that the topic under discussion? I thought we were discussing whether anyone knew if – and if so, how - the ‘extra WHERE clause’ feature works. Turns out that nobody has ever used it (or won’t admit to it here!) so I saw little to be gained in flogging that particular equine corpse & said that I’d use a different, familiar, approach that’d take me to the outcome I want instead.

• So I’m guessing you have done something to the sql views which filter server side instead?

No need to guess! I did say that that was what I was doing instead, and I think I might also have said that, because the server can identify unambiguously what row is to be updated/deleted, that the views are updateable.

N

NickP:

No need to go delving into areas that I don’t understand

Everything is an area we dont understand until we explore it and then we understand it. Thats life.
This aint the matrix where we can download an app and have full knowledge at the press of a button but search engines are making that possible.

NickP:

I am not going to start delving into the possible incorrect functioning of an SV utility when my requirement - to present a filtered subset of rows from a table to the user - can be achieved, very easily and properly, on the server instead.

So I’m guessing you have done something to the sql views which filter server side instead?

You see I need some of this stuff in Clarion to work in order to achieve where I want to go, which is apps that work but also give me the feedback I need to make sure notone is the pulling the wool over my eyes. Thats our differences.

Never offended me, but online, you dont know who you are talking to do you?