ANN: Cue banner

Edit controls (ENTRY, TEXT, COMBO, SPIN) can be extended to have a ‘cue banner’ (that greyed-out placeholder or explanatory text often seen in text fields).
Cue banner
Cue banner supports Unicode.

Usage in hand-coded project.

Include cuebanner.inc file:

INCLUDE('cuebanner.inc'), ONCE

Declare an instance of TCueBannerMgr class:

cueMgr TCueBannerMgr

After OPEN(Window) add edit control to cue manager, passing control label and cue banner text:

cueMgr.AddControl(?ENTRY1, 'Enter your name.')

That’s all.

Usage in an application.

• Register cuebanner.tpl.
  • Add global extension ‘Activate Cue banner’.
  • Add procedure extension ‘Activate Cue banner’ in WINDOW procedure and fill in cue banner text for every edit control.

That’s all.

Demo program

The demo can be downloaded here.

Requirements

• CW6 and newer.
  • ABC and Clarion template chain.
  • Windows Vista and newer (I haven’t tested it yet on XP or Win2000).
  • No extra libraries.

Home page

Visit GitHub for details.

1 Like

Looks good!
Is your template compatible with Multi-DLL apps?

Yes it is compatible with Multi-DLL apps.

Noticed the Fill from Description button and my thoughts jumped to the 99.99% ignored PROP:Msg in a Status Bar. While I doubt SV would ever do it, re-purposing PROP:Msg as a Cue Banner could be useful.

Hi @Mike_Duglas ,

The purchase link on the GitHub readme takes me to an order for resizable controls. Is this correct?

Also note, it says “but now”, not “buy now”

Kind regards

Mark

Thank you Mark, just fixed.

Thank you Mike,

I was wondering if it would be possible to update the template/classes with a couple of options.

Could a Clear button be added so the list of control placeholders text be cleared. I was adding this to a complicated form as to test the tool and there were over 100 fields.

It might be out of the scope of the tool, but could the File Loaded Drop box items on the form be added to the list of controls for a cue banner? I am thinking for when there is no selection and a selection is required it would be nice to have a place holder for “Please Select From the List”.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just uploaded v1.07 with “Clear” button added.
Regarding Drop list control I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

v1.08 is available, dropdowns support added (@Mark_Sarson).
I’m not sure is a link to new zip visible on Clarionshop, so register users can drop me an email or PM to get the link.