ANN: Hunspell4Clarion Spell Check

Hi All

I’m pleased to announce that Hunspell4Clarion version 3.1 is available and now being sold through Clarionshop.com

Hunspell is the spell checker of LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org and Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird,
Google Chrome. We have created clarion Classes and Templates to make using Hunspell as painless as possible.

There have been many fixes and updates from the previous free version.

New in this version:

* Updated the base library to Hunspell 1.7

* Personal Dictionary is now supported

* Included Clarion app to maintain personal Dictionary

* Many bug fixes

Changes and notes for upgrading:

* The dll has changed name from hunspell.dll to hunspell4clarion.dll (This is to reflect the fact that the library has been altered for Clarion usage)

* There is now a requirement for the MS C++ 2015-2019 library to be installed (redistribution library included in files)

The program will be sold at clarionshop for $69 however until the end of November you can use the Promo Code UPGRADE to get all this for only $49

https://www.clarionshop.com/secure/checkout.cfm?pid=1638&q=1&PC=UPGRADE&

3 Likes

Perfect timing - I’m just looking to add Spell Check into a couple of our apps - just ordered it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Andy

Although that also makes me nervous! This is my first 3rd party!!

Sean H

1 Like

I’m sure it’ll be fine :slight_smile:

All being well, I’ll get to add it to the apps later today / tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andy

1 Like

@seanh

Hi there. I recently purchased Hunspell 4 Clarion; and so far it works quite well, it’s exactly what I was looking for. I am having an odd issue though; where sometimes when the user right clicks on a word, the program just closes (no error or indication of what might be happening).

It’s a multi-dll app, but Hunspell is only in one of the DLLs.

First; any ideas on debugging the issue? I am also using a few 3rd party apps, such as AnyFont, StringTheory, mhResize as well as Hunspell.

Second, is there a way to load the dictionary files (.dct and .aff) into memory and do the spell checking from there rather than the disk based file? This application sees use from several users, and loading this relatively small dictionaries into memory would help with speed rather than accessing the files from the network all of the time.

As well; is there a way to set it up to be able to be used in a “Manual” mode rather than a timer based one?

Joe Tailleur

Hi Joe,
Sorry for the delay, had a weeks holiday :slight_smile:

That’s pleasing :slight_smile:

Hmm. Not so pleasing. Couple of thoughts.

• Did you install the required C++ runtime? That’s needed for the Hunspell runtime.
  • What size of text are we talking about? I ask because originally there was a limit of 5000 bytes, I’ve tried to eliminate them and increase, but I occasionally find some leftover bits that got missed.
  • Is the base class defined in your data dll? There is something about memory allocation that clarion doesn’t like for some things. This might be one of them. I’ve found that some (general) classes just GPF if not in the data dll.

Yes I think so. The timer is really just to provide ongoing correction. If you look in the hand code example I think the timer just calls .doSpell (I’m away from dev machine atm so can’t lookup)

Sean H

Hi Sean,

I don’t have the base class in the data DLL, I will do that now and see if that helps.

The spell checking is happening on a text field; which is not limited in size, as it’s an SQL TEXT type field. However, I think in Clarion I have it defined as a CSTRING(64000).

The runtime is definitely installed. I used the one that was included in the download.

Joe Tailleur
[email protected]