AnyScreen Server installation help

Have a wonderful good day. I program small Clarion programs for end users and am an amateur at programming with Clarion.
Now, unfortunately, I have a lot of questions about AnyScreen Server. I bought the subscription and now I need help installing the server. I have an extra PC that should serve as a server for test purposes.
Do I now have to install the AnyScreen program on this PC and start setting up the server there.
And if I have problems setting up the server, does anyone here have experience installing AnyScreen.
I program the programs in a window format so that it can be used on the smartphone. How can the end user then dial into the server from his Android smartphone? Is there a link that must be given. Unfortunately I have no idea. Is there a training video for this? Thank you for allowing me to ask the questions in this forum. Those were the first ones, don’t worry, I’ll have a lot more questions. Thank you for everything

Hello Walter…
Can’t help you with AS, but as I’m watching the newsgroups, I see many people are on sv.clarion.anyscreen group, so it would be better to subscribe there and ask.

HTH
Theodore

1 Like

I havent used Anyscreen so I cant comment on the installation process, however you or may not know about virtualisation software which can make the setting up process easier and quicker when checking out different configurations, security settings etc.

So if this is for home use, VMware do a free player where you can install and run virtual versions of an operating system.
Download VMware Workstation Player | VMware | UK
It means you can install a virtual copy of different windows OS, and Linux OS’es.

What I do is, create a virtual windows OS and then I save a copy of it, before installing anything else so if I mess anything up I can just copy a copy of the OS back.

You can also change the network settings of a virtual PC, so you can setup a virtual network, just like if you have a real switch. I think there is limited functionality in the free VMware player for this, but their paid versions let you control alot more of the networking, like throttling and things like that. A way around that restriction in the free version, is to install a free Firewall like pfsense which has throttling and other options built into the OS. Again a virtual copy of the firewall software can be installed in VMware and then configure the firewall accordingly. This way you can recreate data centre routes and other things like that in order to check your security settings of the virtual server running Annyscreen. Some cloud/data centres do the security for you, using tools like Plesk.

Anyway, the main point being, if you do mess anything up with Anyscreen, by running it as a virtual PC on your computer, you save a lot of time if settings get messed because you just copy the copy of the freshly installed OS back over the messed up copy and then start again.

There is a snapshot process built into Vmware which also makes it easy to revert back to a previous snapshot, but I dont think its in the free version.

HTH.

In the above scenario, Vmware can do some fancy things to physical network cards, but on a physical machine, you would need to at least make sure the firewall on the physical machine running anyscreen is letting traffic through.

A good test with lots of help online is to simply share a network folder and see if you can access that network folder from another device, like your android. Once that is done, then its just a case of making sure anyscreen is listening on the ports 80/443 for incoming and can send anything out across what ever range of outgoing ports, but its the firewall that controls this. IF you can get your android device to connect to your network share, instead of using something like [ipaddress]/networkshare, in a browser it would be something like [ipaddress]:80 to access the anyscreen.

Most of this stuff is more network configuration and routing territory, which can involve the command line alot.

Edit.

On the point of a virtual firewall, some come with a package system where additional tools can be installed, and some come with packet capturing built in to the base ISO, so that you can analyse the raw tcp packets.

Another tool which does this is Kali Linux, which also comes in a virtual form (ISO file), and a package(linux)/program(windows) Wireshark, which is a popular packet capture tool.

Now I’ve noticed windows 10 will over ride the UAC accessed network settings of VMware to prevent Kali Linux being run with full access to the network hardware. It might do this to other virtual pc’s so its something to watch out for. This also assumes my offline pc hasnt been hacked with some smart malware designed to cover its tracks.

So if you dont spot that and then run Wireshark in Kali Linux, you wont be able to watch the packets arriving at the physical machine before they go off either to the OS of the physical machine or one of the virtual pc’s running in VMware, like the one running AnyScreen.

Like I said before, virtualisation lets you do fancy stuff to hardware, like a physical network card can have multiple ip addresses linked to the physical machines OS and the virtual pc’s ip addresses.

I havent found out how many different network ip addresses a single physical network card can have, but so far its as many virtual pc’s as I can run simultaneously at the same time on the physical machine and my dev machine has rack server specs, ie lots of ram, plenty of cores and NVMe drives for maximum performance. Being able to see the raw tcp packets can be very useful for troubleshooting port listeners and firewall settings, but it involves a bit of knowledge of knowing what types of packets to expect on different ports.

These are a couple of diagrams which can give you an overview of the networking side of things.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg
4103_Protocols_poster_10b (cisco.com)

1 Like

Hello to the community, have installed the AnyScreen server and can now call the program from the public.
There are certain shortcomings to these I will comment later. Best regards Walter

1 Like

Assume this is an app rendered by anyscreen written in Clarion 11?

I programmed the app in Clarion 11 with AnyScreen. But taking into account the screen size.

Best regards,

well done very nice!!