Clarion6 App Keeps Freezing

Hi everyone, long time no speak :wink:

I’ve a couple of users having an issue with my C6 app and was wondering if anyone had any pointers. The app is freezing on 2 client sites, but if they leave it 3-5 mins it comes back to life. 1 client site is running on W10 desktops where the data is stored on a Windows 2019 server, and the other site is running via terminal services into a Windows 2019 server.

They are getting no error messages, and everytime I run diagnostic checks on the data everything is fine.

I’m wondering if this has something to do with SMB1/2 and/or OpLocks…

Any ideas welcome.

Colin.

Maybe ProcMon would help you to learn what’s happening during the freeze?

NOTE: You should definitely set up a filter for your process name immediately after starting.

image

And also, “Drop Filtered Events”

image

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, will look into this, but my software hasn’t changed in 6 months, the only thing that’s different is probably windows 10 updates on desktops and the Servers are now 2019.

Colin.

Either way, the goal is to find out what’s happening, whether or not it is the result of a change that you made. :slight_smile:

True, going to run that on my PC first to get to grips with it - Ta.

It could possibly be a policy that is disconnecting mapped drives. Look at these pages:

https://eddiejackson.net/wp/?p=16319

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2016/08/windows-10-repeatedly-disconnects-network-drives/

softvelocity.clarion.databasedrivers (softvelocity.clarion.databasedrivers) -
Subject: Re:Windows 10 Lockups - fixed by Drive Maps Group Policy as “Update”.
From: Carl Barnes Wed, Nov 4 2020 10:49 am

It took 2 weeks, and multiple reminders, to get the network admin to Change the
Group Policy to “Update”. The lockups have stopped.

That site has a history of lack of network support. I had another nearby site
with similar hardware but no Lockups. They confirmed that the setting was
“Update” … the same day I asked.

This page seemed most useful: https://eddiejackson.net/wp/?p=16319

Carl

On Fri, Oct 16 2020 2:32 pm, Carl Barnes said:

I’m seeing the same situation of after upgrading they now hang when idle. I’ve
emailed Admin to change the Group Policy and will report back.

These links have screen captures and discussion. The MCBSys link shows some
review of the Windows Event logs which I had suggested the site review to find
a cause.

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2016/08/windows-10-repeatedly-disconnects-network-drives/

“A few weeks ago, I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. The
most frustrating problem has been that mapped drives on my server frequently
disconnect. One of my database programs relies on a mapped drive and keeps
crashing.”

https://eddiejackson.net/wp/?p=16319

On Thu, Sep 10 2020 9:19 am, Sheleen Turnblad [email protected] said:

Wondering if anyone has suggestions… Posted in Clarion9 newsgroup, as
well.

My software is written in Clarion 9.1, uses Topspeed database files, and
is a multi-dll application.

We have a client who has been successfully running our software for
years. They recently upgraded their PC’s from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
The workstations are running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. During their
testing phase, before the official OS upgrade, if they returned to
Windows 7, all was once again fine.

Since the OS upgrade, they have random lock-ups within our application.
All PC’s on the network have the problem. The lockups happen when the
PC sits idle, and frequently when simply closing a window in the
program. Often, there are no record updates happening, but sometimes
they are entering records.

They have removed anti-virus software and Windows Defender.

Sometimes, the lockup is just a spinning circle. Other times, the
program says it can’t find a file, but it has no filename (which it
normally would). It’s as if they’ve lost their network connection,
though they have tried doing some continuous pings, which confirm the PC
is still connected to server.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Sheleen

1 Like

Thanks Carl, I’ll take a read, from an initial quick scan of the text it sounds exactly like my users are experiencing, and yet at one site the IT guys placed a utility on a workstation to test the ping to the server and it never failed a ping test, well one client anyway, as the other client is using Terminal Services…

My morning reading I guess :slight_smile:

The problem I noted was Disconnecting the Mapped drives, I think there was still a Server connection so the Ping would work.

1 Like

I wonder why MalwareBytes wants to block that website. Virustotal says it’s clean.

image

Thanks for confirming this Carl, appreciated.

two things come to mind.

  1. a file lock. one user has the lock and the others wait and come alive once the locking user oks the window
  2. a virus scan that effectivly locks the file until it’s finished
1 Like

Thanks Sean. After running ProcMon (thanks Jeff! :)) the system isn’t actually crashing, it’s waiting, because a file it’s requesting (and this changes per freeze) cannot be locked due to a Network Error, so I’ve forwarded on Carl’s suggestions to the client’s IT department. The ProcMon logs also show an awful lot of NAME NOT FOUND errors when referencing C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace…, which when I’ve googled is something to do with local cache for offline files…

As for the AV, I did think that ages ago, but that hasn’t changed in recenty times and it also has an exception to ignore .TPS files.

Colin.