Gregory C. Bailey

Last Wednesday, Greg Bailey passed away after 13 years of battling cancer. (see obituary below) I’ll just post a few thoughts about what Greg meant to me and the profound impact that he had on my life. Here’s a pic that Leroy Schulz took in front of my house about 10 years ago Clubbin’ With Greg | Miguelito's Little Green Car. We are all connected.

Back in the early 90s, I was just learning a bit about Clarion, I had done a little bit of BASIC programming, but nothing significant, so I was pretty green. Started with Personal Developer and took baby steps. Then I found a BBS (remember those?) that had a post on it mentioning a user group meeting at the Riverside Computer Center with these people who were giving a spiel about LPM (Ann and (pre-Keith) Dave Howington). Greg was an LPM user and I think might have done some work with Logix as well.
I think this was right around the time that Clarion 3.0 came out. I had started out with it, but it was way over my head at the time, to be honest. So with my current lack of expertise, the “Shark switch” thing seemed to be exactly what I needed, because they made it simple enough for nubes to get something done, and enough woo woo to make it seem like the magic I needed, and I bought LPM.
So I started attending Greg’s user group meetings. And he was amazingly supportive to his attendees. He walked us through why the “LOOP UNTIL EOF” was usually not as good as plain old “LOOP”, and stuff like that. Otherwise, my only teacher was the generated code from the models. I absolutely treasured his meetings and couldn’t wait for the next one. We talked about LPM and Plain old Clarion.
After a year or so, when I was thinking of writing apps for money, it was Greg who made sure I didn’t undersell myself and made me feel like I was worth something in this business. After I got some of my more crappy apps out of the way, Greg referred me to one of his existing clients and things really took off. There is nobody who had a greater impact in my Clarion world than Gregory C. Bailey.
He was a sweet, kind, generous, bright, and honest man. I will miss him.

Best wishes to all.

Here is the public obituary provided by his wife Linnie:

It is with deep sadness that I must announce the death of my husband of 31 years, Greg Bailey. Our kids and I were with him at home when he passed on Wednesday. Greg succumbed after a valiant 13 year battle with Stage 4 Cancer. In November of 2007, he went to the doctor with what he thought was a golf injury – a sore shoulder that got progressively worse. They found tumors throughout his spine and he was given 18 months to two years to live. He was 52. Our children were nine and 16. I didn’t think he would live to see our oldest graduate from high school. But God….

He lived to see BOTH kids graduate college and become outstanding young adults. You see as Greg and I sat in the car in the parking lot outside USC Keck that November we decided the only thing we could do was just keep going. And that’s what we did. It was not easy, there were many ups and downs and treatments for him – rounds of radiation, chemo, and clinical trials. Many times we were told the end was near. But God…

He went through three strong chemos over the years. He told me just a couple of weeks ago that he never got to ‘ring the bell.’ You see when patients would finish their rounds of chemo they would ring the bell in the infusion center, signaling they had successfully completed the course of treatment. Greg never got to do this because his chemos were not successful and he’d have to stop after a few rounds. But God….

He didn’t ‘ring the bell’ but he lived! Probably much longer than some of those that did ring it. There is a message here for all who are struggling with a chronic illness or a major challenge and trying to get to the point where they can ‘ring the bell.’ Just keep going! They say life is about the journey, not the destination!

Whatever you’re facing….just keep going!

Greg Bailey Obit:

Greg grew up in Long Beach and attended Long Beach Poly High School where he excelled in academics, basketball, volleyball, and student government. A National Merit Scholar, he attended UCLA where he played JV Basketball and studied Science. After graduating, he began a 40+ year career programming computers and designing software. Many of his programs are still being used.

31 years ago, Greg married fellow Bruin, Linnie Frank and the couple settled in Corona, CA where they raised their family. Greg’s interests throughout the years included Bridge, Golf, Jazz, Old Movies, and BOOKS! (An avid reader, he averaged one book a week for most of his adult life.) His favorite book was “Stranger in a Strange Land” and his favorite movie was “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

In addition to his wife, Greg leaves his children, son Gregory and daughter Kyra. He was the eldest of 7 children – 5 boys and 2 girls. His parents preceded him in death and sadly the siblings lost two other brothers this year.

Never one to complain, Greg played the cards he was given – and he played them well. He would surely say “It Was a Wonderful Life.”

There will be no funeral service, but there will be a celebration of his life next year at the launch of the Bailey Technical Institute. Stay tuned.

5 Likes

I first met Greg in Kerrville, TX where he was TRYING to wear a cowboy hat that was far too small for that huge head. An image and a man, a friend, I will never forget.

RIP, Greg, and the best to your family.

4 Likes

My first memory of Greg was at the 1997 Devcon (my first devcon) in Florida. He came up to me and commented on my T-Shirt which I thought was very cool.

Over the years Greg was always one of those developers who had an encyclopedic knowledge of Clarion, and in many ClarionLive sessions we relied on him to explain what some function did, or what some word did. He was one of the gentlest souls I know, and I know all of us at ClarionLive will miss him greatly.

Bruce

3 Likes

This is indeed very sad news. My sympathies are with Greg’s wife and family. I will always remember Greg for the calm consideration and thorough reasoning he brought to programming problems, Clarion related business decisions, and in-fact any social issue we discussed over the years.

My Clarion path crossed with Greg at what I believe was the very first DevCon, in a game of beach volleyball. In typical Bailey fashion, Greg was hanging out on the sidelines, a good book in hand as insurance against boredom but casually watching as some Clarion marketing & training staff (they actually had such employees back then) sought to corral enough willing folks into a game. While it didn’t take much to get the cable TV programming Canadians interested (David Harms, Brian Staff), it was only with a little prodding that CDD 3.0 team member Michael Dufort and I were able to convince Greg to put aside his book and fill out our numbers. At every DevCon I attended after that introduction on the sand, I made it a point to seek out Bailey Wisdom regarding the latest Clarion or Soft Velocity announcements.

In late summer 2008, I got a friendly get-me-out-here call from Greg, who was staying in Denver while his wife attended the Democratic National Convention. After providing basic details for the bus line from the convention in Denver to my University office in Boulder, Greg jumped at the opportunity to get away from the political energy and generously offered suggestions and considerations on the work I was doing at the time. Over a leisurely lunch on a restaurant porch looking across the mountain foothills, I enjoyed hearing Greg’s take on independent developers, a waning SV, and the times ahead for the next generation with a new US president.

Recently, as the March COVID lock down began, I was needing some quick advice on the potential of accessing DocuSign from within my Clarion app. Being already over-extended for implementing new COVID data requirements, I sought Greg’s help. Within just a couple of days, he got back to me with relevant details, his outlook for Noyantis releasing a rumored DocuSign Task Class, and a plan for moving forward together if necessary. This was of course done with the same gentle and comprehensive scrutiny I had seen for 30 years along with some prideful news regarding college graduations and career starts for his son and daughter. Rest in peace, Mr. Bailey. You will be missed.

BTW - Jeff, if you do come across an obituary for Greg, I would very much be interested.

2 Likes

Hi Douglas- I updated my original post to include the obit. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us all know, and for posting this Jeff. I met Greg a number of times at various conferences and of course got to know him online too. I think of his kindness, his patience, his pride in Linnie and the kids, his delight in sharing knowledge with our community. My condolences to his family; I’m sure you have many great memories of Greg and much to inspire you as you carry on.

Dave

3 Likes

First Class Guy and was always there to help people out back in the original days of Clarion. Someone I always respected. Very nice to read the obituary and see what a wonderful life he had even with the hardships he faced. He will be missed.

My Greg memory was being able to get him to a rocket launch a couple years ago at the devcon in Orlando. It was such a pleasure to see his smile and one of the best memories of that group.

2 Likes

Clarion 2.0, LPM and the DOS app generator. Amazing product!

Happy new year to the community and health to its wonderful members and contributors.

Today on ClarionLive - check out more about Greg especially by his wife Linnie sharing her stories - Joe you will be thrilled to her about his excitement to witness and experience the launch!

1 Like

So sorry to hear this.
I maybe had 3 conversations with him - and the last one was probably in the previous century. He was one of those wonderful human beings who would just help if there was a need.
Prayers for Greg and his family.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Install help request