H5 Capabilities?

I am not a pro developer although I have used Clarion for a few years (a few years ago!) and have recently started coding again for my woodworking club. I am thinking about upgrading from C8 to C11 to be able to use H5.

I have been trying to find out more about H5 since somebody in this group mentioned it, but am finding very little info about it. I have watched the videos on the SoftVelocity website, done web searches and I see how easy it is to implement, but am still left with unanswered questions. It seems like it lets your app run in a browser, I get that much, but:

• does it have to run in a network environment? I read something about it running in a ‘private’ environment, which I assume is a network. I am not a network guy …
  • can it run on a hosted website?
  • will it run on smartphones/tablets, etc.?
  • is anything other than H5 needed to be able to execute from a browser?
  • I believe it runs with Legacy coding too, correct?

Does anyone have a comprehensive writeup of H5 that talks about it from soup to nuts?

thanks

Mark

Hi mark,

Diego can perhaps answer more definitivly than i can. Ive not used it myself, so this is one of those “i gave no idea, but will answer you anyway” useless replies.

• does it have to run in a network environment? I read something about it running in a ‘private’ environment, which I assume is a network. I am not a network guy …

Im not sure what you mean by “network environment”. Are you asking “does it need s connection between the vlient and server?” -yes. Can it run on a LAN? - yes.

No. You need an actual (windows) server. Often people use a Virtual Private Zerver - think around $50 per month. Or your own box connected to the internet.

It won’t -run- on the phone. The browser runs on the phone. The h5 program runs on the server. The phone has a “view” of the program in the browser.

No. H5 on the server is all you need to worry about. The browser on the client side is out the box.

With C11 yes.

Hi mark,

Diego can perhaps answer more definitivly than i can. Ive not used it myself, so this is one of those “i gave no idea, but will answer you anyway” useless replies.

Im not sure what you mean by “network environment”. Are you asking “does it need s connection between the vlient and server?” -yes. Can it run on a LAN? - yes.

No. You need an actual (windows) server. Often people use a Virtual Private Zerver - think around $50 per month. Or your own box connected to the internet.

It won’t -run- on the phone. The browser runs on the phone. The h5 program runs on the server. The phone has a “view” of the program in the browser.

No. H5 on the server is all you need to worry about. The browser on the client side is out the box.

With C11 yes.