Have you moved to Windows 11 for Clarion Development?

Guys,

I have all my PCs on Win 11 but the one I develop apps in CW. Have you move to Win 11 with CW yet?

Any culprits?

Bostjan

1 Like

I moved to Win11 ages ago and have had no problems with C11 on Win11.

2 Likes

No, still win10 as my host OS, and still using XPsp3 with C6.3 as my main dev machine as I need my apps to be backwards compatible to XP.

However I have been watching the updates like the recently released 22H2 update which came out a few days ago, to see what new features are appearing in windows ll.

So I have a multi monitor setup and it means I have multiple instances of the clarion ide open, beit C6 or C11. I need those taskbar buttons showing text so I can select the correct instance of the ide. In Win11 it looks like the text has gone and now just shows the app icon in the taskbar, besides also moving the start button to the centre of the taskbar instead of being on the left like its been since '95.

Anyway thats me.

It’s working OK for me. Not sure I’ll ever get used to the Win11 taskbar, but the OS works works fine with Clarion 11/10.

1 Like

That can be changed:

1 Like

I remote into a Windows 11 machine one or two times per week and work in 11.1. It seems fine to me and the other developer has no issues. It’s running on a Mac under Parallels with a CPU that is not Intel.

I don’t like Win 11 nor have a desire to move to it. But I do not have enough time on it for some of the changes to become familiar and probably make sense. E.g. right-click in Explorer hiding many items under “More”. It probably just confuses me, but may be better by making the Popup smaller.

Could be like the way many kept using XP when Windows 7 was much better … given some time using it IMO. Moving Start to the middle is constantly confusing. Thanks Jane for the setting!

I might have a look at it then. That was a show stopper for me. :grinning:

W7 was better, but I switch everything back to windows classic look and feel aka win2000 look and feel. I just prefer that, but in W7x32 some clarion 6 windows would not appear on top when they should have done, but it works perfectly in XP, that why I still use XP. I’m so much faster using C6 on XP.

Now Windows only comes in 64bit, its not even possible to install WOW16 onto a 32bit version of Windows.

There are also a couple of third-party options available to tweak the Windows 11 Start menu and taskbar. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-replace-the-windows-11-start-menu/.

I’ve been trialing Start11 for a few days without issue.

1 Like

Looks interesting

Does it improve the options on the right-click menu of the taskbar? Such as having TaskMgr available?

I don’t have that computer with me today (new machine came with Windows 11 – I’m still migrating to it).

But this from https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/ makes it sound like it: “Bring back missing features from previous versions of Windows like moving the taskbar to top of your display or the Windows 10-style taskbar context menu.”

They have a 30 day free trial that I’m just a few days into.

1 Like

Jeff,

Not the greatest, but I “pin” task manager and the settings window to the task bar.
And always have a command prompt icon on the desktop.

Those deal with most of my needs.

I’ve been using there Start products since Win8.
The Win10 version (Start10) works very well. Literally zero problems.
Worth the whole $5.

Therefore, I’d highly recommend Start11.

1 Like

Good to hear. So far Start11 has been working well for me.

The only thing I’m missing with Windows 11 is a Quick Launch bar. There are methods and patches to do it, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Quick Launch, you say? Yep. Long live Windows 95! :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe a survey would be interesting … I allowed multiple answers so if you work in Clarion on multiple machines you can tick them all.

Dev PC Windows Version used for Clarion 10 - 11.1
  • Windows 11
  • Windows 10
  • Windows 8 or 8.1
  • Windows 7
  • Vista, XP, Older

0 voters

To open the TaskManager I use Win+X+T
Where Win+X opens the same menu you get by right clicking on the Windows Icon
Then T for &Task Manager (this likely varies by language)

2 Likes

I’m using Ctrl+Shift+Esc, invariant for any language.

2 Likes

As far as I know, Clarion 11 works fine with Windows 11. In our case, we use Pervasive as a database (btrieve) and we receive this from one of our vendors. Something to have in consideration at the moment the application arrive to the end user.

From

Windows 11 Disk Issues

With the release of Windows 11, hardware manufacturers are starting to deploy new storage hardware that leverages larger physical sector sizes than have been previously supported in the past. This has already been the case with production-level hardware from Dell using Samsung PM991a NVMe drives, and we expect new systems from other companies will also start using these newer storage systems as well.

Internally, database applications (like Actian Zen and Microsoft SQL Server) leverage direct I/O operations to access the disk in the most efficient manner possible, and these accesses need to be aware of the physical sector size to function properly. Problems can arise when the hardware is newer than what the software supports, and both Actian and Microsoft databases are seeing issues on newer hardware using sector sizes larger than 4KB (4096). In the Zen world, this can manifest itself in one of two ways:

• If you attempt to install the database engine to an unsupported drive, you will likely see an engine crash every time you attempt to access any database files. The Windows Application Event Log will report this as a fault in W64NTMKDE.DLL with an exception code of 0xc0000409. You will also not have any of the default databases in the Control Center, as they would have all failed during the installation as well.
  • If your installation volume is a supported sector size, but you have added a data volume that uses an unsupported sector size, then you may receive a “System Error: 620.0.998” error in the database engine log every time you attempt to access any file on that volume. (The filename is not reported, though.)

To confirm the sector size used by the storage device, issue the following from an administrative Command Prompt:

fsutil fsinfo sectorInfo C:

(Change the drive letter at the end if you need to test a different volume.) This will display the physical characteristics of the hardware, including the PhysicalBytesPerSector field(s). If greater than 4096, you will be unable to use this hardware for database storage at this time. Please note that the sector size is a physical attribute of the hardware that cannot be changed, so you may wish to replace the storage unit with a device that uses the older (and supported) 512- or 4096-byte sector sizes.

Database developers are already aware of this issue, of course, and they are already working on fixes that we expect to be available soon. However, we do NOT expect fixes to be released for older, unsupported software, so if you are planning a hardware refresh with an unsupported version of Actian PSQL (i.e. v13 or older), you should either plan to also upgrade the database to Actian Zen at the same time or just be cognizant of the hardware you are purchasing to ensure compatibility.

While I’ve encountered zero problems developing in clarion from Win11

I have found that running clarion programs on Win11 have some visual issues.
Most notably radios and checkboxes display poorly when they have an icon

My fix was to write a WindowComponent that alters their prop: background, setting it a color when they are checked, and to set it back to Color:None when they are unchecked.

Issues like this show why it’s important to develop or at least test on the most recent versions of Windows.

1 Like

You might find this useful.
Enabling Visual Styles - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

Edit.

One other point, you might have to use newer windows api’s that were introduced in Vista to get some of the controls et al working properly. So I found out recently that MS will make stub api’s and also introduce new elements to a data structure (a clarion group) but not use the element for a one or two versions of windows. I suppose it shows their level of planning, or maybe the delays they have seen to implement the new features, but that can be seen in some of the window api’s.

I’ve had to do that for my C6 apps to work in Win10.

So you cant use these old api’s
LoadImageA function (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn
LoadIconA function (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

but you can use the newer vista api’s like
LoadIconMetric function (commctrl.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn
LoadIconWithScaleDown function (commctrl.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

and then icons should display properly.

And dont forget to add this Side by Side (SxS) entry to your manifest.

<dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity
            type="win32"
            name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
            version="6.0.0.0"
            processorArchitecture="*"
            publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
            language="*"
        />
    </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

You might have to code for both instances, which is what I’m doing using classes in order for my app to run on XP whilst also being able to run on 10, and soon on 11.

Edit. The start button in the centre of Win11 might work with my 3 monitor setup. I’ve always used Ultramon for my multimonitor setup UltraMon Features - Window management (realtimesoft.com) but I see MS are slowly introducing the same idea’s from Ultramon into Win11, namely the Choose Monitor popup window seen in the Ultramon webpage.