How is H5 working for deploying Clarion apps these days? (April of 2024)

I am using C9.0 and would need to get the C11 subscription, how is building moderately simple webapps using H5 ? Who is doing it successfully. Thanks. Just noticed mine is the first post regarding H5 since about 2021 - i am guessing that may be answering my question.

NetTalk is pretty much the defacto standard.

Anyscreen in clarion 11 is really very interesting and can handle most clarion windows stuff out of the box even runtime controls, a new Prop:Html for image controls…

the new demo is very very powerful…

probably hasnt got the attention as most of the big stuff has been done with NetTalk…

However with just 2 lines of code your app is browser ready… very very impressive…

NetTalkers might consider it an internet dummies solution …

we have a gymn app we are thinking of anyscreening …

As Stev says, AnyScreen appears to be the path that SV is pursuing for out of the box webapp/server support.
I haven’t seen any updates to H5 related code since AnyScreen was released.

To clarify somewhat on what Steve said;

NetTalk is the best option for -building- web apps, but its not the fastest way to move and existing desktop app to the web.

So basically, there are 2 different use cases in play here. The first is where you have an existing desktop app that you want to run in a browser. AnyScreen is the prefered solution for that over H5. There are some compromises, primarily around resource consumption and scalibility but it works well.

NetTalk uses a different approach, where you build your app from the ground up. Its a different model, and while you can reuse some dedktop code (source, reports, processes etc) the UI has to be rebuilt from scratch.

This is obviously a Lot more work. Plus you need to learn the new model and get to grips with how it all works. Theres a significant learning curve.

The benefit is that the app you build is designed gor the web, and has a richer interface, while supporting more users with fewer resources. You also get an API server which extends your system beyond the browser.

Picking the right tool depends on your needs and use case.

3 Likes