How to determine XPos of a Browse Column?

Can someone tell me how to determine the xpos (and perhaps other info, such as width) of a browse column during runtime? Many years ago, I wrote an app or 2 that displayed a string control below the browse list that displayed the sum or a column, for instance. If the user resized any of the columns, I had the total string move along with the new column position. That was long ago, and I don’t recall how I did that.
So, I imagine I need to know the embed point and how to read the properties of a column to get its position.
TIA

You could take the List Xpos plus the sum of all the columns on the left, but that will be off by the gap between the columns, so not accurate. To get it perfect you put an EIP field into the cell and get the XPos of that EIP.

Here is some code extracted from a bunch of code so not sure I got it all of it:

ColXPos   LONG 
ColX      USHORT
DevTipEIP LONG
ListXPos  LONG
  CODE
  IF ~DevTipEIP THEN    !EIP already created
      DevTipEIP=CREATE(0,CREATE:Button)
  END 
  ListXPos=ListFEQ{PROP:XPos}  
  ColX = column number wanted 
  ListFEQ{PROP:Edit,ColX}=DevTipEIP             !Create EIP Control over cell
  GETPOSITION(DevTipEIP,ColXPos,cY#,cw#,ch#)    !Get EIP Position of cell, relative 
  ListFEQ{PROP:Edit,ColX}=0                     !Remove EIP
  ColXPos  = ColXPos + ListXPos     !EIP XPos is relative to List X

@jslarve had the idea that below the LIST you add another LIST one row high to show the totals. It has about the same FORMAT as the original. it is FROM a Queue with one record holding the totals. Any column resizing on the detail list has to be made in the Total LIST, so watch for EVENT:ColumnResize. I think it was an article in Clarion Mag so search that for author Jeff Slarve.

My code above is from my Window Preview class that has a “DevTips” feature that adds a tip to each list column which shows many properties including XPos:

1 Like

Carl -
Thanks for the quick reply. I got what I need from your post, and basically have things working with a bit more tweaking to do. The second list idea is 1 I’ll try out as well.

Searching ClarionMag I found the below two. I’m on my phone so cannot open.

Positioning List Box Totals
2002-06-11
Sometimes you’ll want to place total fields below list boxes and in some cases those totals need to be positioned exactly below a column. This is easy if the user doesn’t resize any columns but what if you do allow resizing? Brice Schagane shows how to align the total fields with the columns at runtime

The Clarion Advisor: Displaying List Totals 2000-11-14
One of the tricks of productive programming is to not let yourself be limited by the standard ways of solving a particular problem. Here’s a novel solution to displaying column totals underneath a list box.

Carl -
I’ve found the Clarion Magazine back issues on clarionmag.com, and the article concerning the list totals. That article refers to a source code download (apparently) named v2n11totals.zip. Is there a repository somewhere for the downloads that accompany these old articles?
Thanks

One problem I would have with the Total List is often the totals need 1.5x - 2x the width so with STRINGs I end up putting them on 2 lines staggered.

I know there are downloads … If you click around the links you’ll find this page with all downloads:
https://clarionmag.jira.com/wiki/spaces/archive/pages/399459/Monthly+PDFs+and+source+ZIPs

I downloaded cmag-2000-11.zip with all “extras” and inside that was your file that I attached.

v2n11totals.zip (1.2 KB)

v4n06totals.zip (29.0 KB)

PROGRAM
   map
     FillQ1()
   end

ListTotalClass Class,Type
InListYOffset    byte(2)
InList           Short
TotalList        Short
CopyFormat       Procedure
Init             Procedure(Short InList,Short TotalList)
SynchColumns     Procedure(Byte RightToLeft=False)
TakeEvent        Procedure
               end

LT ListTotalClass

Q1 Queue
S1  String(20)
D1  Decimal(10,2)
D2  Decimal(10,2)
D3  Decimal(10,2)
D4  Decimal(10,2)
   end

Q2 Queue(Q1)
   end

Window WINDOW('Listbox Totalling'),AT(,,284,152),FONT('MS Sans Serif',8,,),CENTER,SYSTEM,GRAY,DOUBLE
       LIST,AT(5,5,272,129),USE(?List1),VSCROLL,FORMAT('55L(2)|M~Column 1~C(0)52R(2)|M~Column 2~C(0)@n-10.2b@52R(2)|M~Column 3~C(0)@n-10' &|
           '.2b@52R(2)|M~Column 4~C(0)@n-10.2b@52R(2)|M~Column 5~C(0)@n-10.2b@'),FROM(Q1)
       LIST,AT(9,137,241,10),USE(?List2),NOBAR,VSCROLL,COLOR(COLOR:BTNFACE),FORMAT('20L(2)|M'),FROM(Q2)
     END

Code
  FillQ1()
  Open(Window)
  LT.Init(?List1,?List2)
  Accept
    LT.TakeEvent
  end

FillQ1 PRocedure
Ndx Long
  Code
  Free(Q1)
  Clear(Q1)
  Free(Q2)
  Clear(Q2)
  Q2.S1 = 'Total'
  Loop Ndx = 1 to 14
    Q1.S1 = 'Record ' & Ndx
    Q1.D1 = Random(1,500000) * .01
    Q1.D2 = Random(1,500000) * .01
    Q1.D3 = Random(1,500000) * .01
    Q1.D4 = Random(1,500000) * .01
    Add(Q1)
    Q2.D1 += Q1.D1
    Q2.D2 += Q1.D2
    Q2.D3 += Q1.D3
    Q2.D4 += Q1.D4
  end
  Add(Q2)

ListTotalClass.CopyFormat   Procedure
Ndx Long
  Code
  Self.TotalList{PROP:Format} = Self.InList{PROP:Format}
  Self.TotalList{PROP:XPos} = Self.InList{PROP:XPos}
  Self.TotalList{PROP:YPos} = Self.InList{PROP:YPos} + Self.InList{PROP:Height} + Self.InListYOffset
  Self.TotalList{PROP:Width} = Self.InList{PROP:Width}
  Loop Ndx = 1 to 255
    If NOT Self.TotalList{PROPList:Exists,Ndx} then break.
    Self.TotalList{PROPList:Header,Ndx}=''
  end

ListTotalClass.Init         Procedure(Short InList,Short TotalList)
  Code
  Self.InList = InList
  Self.TotalList = TotalList
  Self.CopyFormat

ListTotalClass.SynchColumns Procedure(Byte RightToLeft=False)
Ndx Long
  Code
  Loop Ndx = 1 to 255
    If NOT Self.TotalList{PROPList:Exists,Ndx} then break.
    If RightToLeft
      Self.TotalList{PROPList:Width,Ndx} = Self.InList{PROPList:Width,Ndx}
    else
      Self.InList{PROPList:Width,Ndx} = Self.TotalList{PROPList:Width,Ndx}
    end
  end

ListTotalClass.TakeEvent    Procedure
  Code
  If Event() = Event:ColumnResize
    Case Field()
    of Self.InList
      Self.SynchColumns(1)