Import from Application Bug - Deletes Empty Modules and Renumbers

I often source compare by Module and use the Generated Numbered modules. Not the most solid but it works with some care of the modules. Suddenly every Module 030-091 showed changed and were obviously different procedures.

I accused someone of again Deleting Empty Modules and Renumbering. He was sure he didn’t and its hard to image doing both and not recalling. He did recall doing an Import from Application. I tested and it does in fact Delete Empty and Renumber. Here is a screen cap from a bug report showing before/after import the modules gone.

I always Import from TXA and it does not have the bug. That does take the extra step of opening the other APP and doing a Selective Export. I usually look in the TXA to see exactly what will be imported.

3 Likes

That is good information to know. I often import from application and now will re-think that.

Yes, been there, done that. Be carefull with import from application.
Using GIT or any other version control on generated source also requires the module names to stay the same. Turning off ‘Allow Repopulate’ should be able to prevent this behaviour.
Allow Repopulate

I think you were only saying unchecking “Allow Repopulate” was a good idea when doing source control, not that it would fix this bug? I wish it could be the default to uncheck that box. It’s not a simple search-and-replace to fix APP wide in a TXA because you have to add a NOPOPULATE line to each [MODULE].

I tested my bug with “Allow Repopulate” unchecked and it did NOT fix the problem. I still see Empty Modules are Deleted, then they all are Renumbered.

I also verified this bug is still in the newest 11.1.13758. I attached test APPs.

AppImportBugDeletesEmpty.zip (11.4 KB)

What I try to do now when I leave an empty module is add a little Source procedure named “Empty_###” just incase someone forgets and imports from an APP.

Hi Carl,
I also used the stub procedure to avoid modules deletion. The problem was in Clarion 7 too, I suspect it was at least since then.
Federico

This problem has existed since at least C6.x. Probably further back. If the module doesn’t have an explicit name, it is given the next number while importing from txa.

Import TXA is Not the problem in this Topic. Problem is Import from APP deleting Empty Modules then Renumbering.

Oops, sorry Carl. I totally missed that distinction, even though it is in the topic title :slight_smile: