Listbox group with Icon display problem with dotted line around row 1 of 2

This first seemed to occur in Clarion 10. Douglas E. Johnson wrote it up on the Problem Tracker (#42497) on 4/25/2018. It doesn’t appear as though SV made a fix for C10. This is especially problematic when the row is more than just a single line. It has to do with a dotted line being formed around 1 row only if the field is set up to display an icon. If the icon is in a field in the middle of the list box, the dotted line extends from that point all the way to the right. While perhaps functional, this is quite distracting visually.

I’m curious as to how others have worked around this and could you share your technique. I do very little hand coding but I’ll do whatever it takes to make the dotted line surround the entire record rather than just a part of it.

Perhaps this isn’t a problem in Clarion 11 but I’ll wait for Clarion 12 just in case.

Jeff

1 Like

Can you paste your LIST code from the Window… editor including the #FIELDS()? That would make it easy to test.

If you turn off Greenbar does it change? I.e. do Styles have an effect.

Here is the code from the Window editor.

It doesn’t matter if I uncheck Greenbar under the Color tab. I get the same effect.

All of the fields have the HasColor attribute selected, however.

None of the fields have the Styles attribute selected.

I’m using Super Tagging in both with no issues in Clarion 8 so I believe that can be ruled out.

Jeff

#############################Clarion 10 code ########################################################

BrowseWindow WINDOW(‘View Symptoms’),AT(0,0,431,226),FONT(‘Arial’,10),COLOR(00EDEDDFh),ICON(‘ico\Symptoms.ico’), |

GRAY,MDI,SYSTEM

ENTRY(@s100),AT(91,4,190,10),USE(Sym:Symptom),COLOR(COLOR:White),#ORDINAL(1)

LIST,AT(3,31,347,130),USE(?List),VSCROLL,COLOR(COLOR:White),FORMAT(’[13L(-3)|M’ & |

J@s1@/13L(-5)|M@n1@]|[141L(2)|M*~Symptom~C(0)@s100@/85L(2)|M*~Category~L’ & |

’(5)@s75@](190)|14L(14)|*JP~Nts~C(0)@n1@Q’‘Box checked if notes written’‘14’ & |

’L(14)|*JP~Thy~C(0)@n1@Q’‘Box checked if symptom is thyroid related’‘14L(14’ & |

’)|*JP~Adr~C(0)@n1@Q’‘Box checked if symptom is adrenal related’‘30C|*P~Pri’ & |

’mary~@s3@Q’‘These symptoms negatively affect your life’‘14R(-5)|M*JP~P~C(0’ & |

’)@n1@Q’‘These symptoms must be resolved to restore your quality of life’‘4’ & |

’0L(2)|M*P~Severity~C(0)@s10@Q’‘The level of discomfort from this symptom’’’), |

FROM(Queue:Browse),IMM,MSG(‘Browsing Records’),VCR,#FIELDS(Tag,SV,Sym:Symptom, |

Sym:Category,Sym:Note,Sym:Thyroid,Sym:Adrenal,Sym:Primary,Sym:Priority,Sym:Severity), |

#ORIG(BrowseBox),#SEQ(1),#ORDINAL(2)

SHEET,AT(2,18,350,157),USE(?SHEET1),#ORDINAL(3)

TAB(‘Active’),USE(?TAB1),#ORDINAL(4)

STRING(@N-4),AT(109,163),USE(TotalSymptoms),FONT(,COLOR:Green,FONT:bold),CENTER, |

TRN,#ORDINAL(5)

STRING(‘Total Symptoms’),AT(133,163),USE(?STRING1),TRN,#ORDINAL(6)

STRING(@n-7),AT(195,163,30),USE(TotalTagged),FONT(,COLOR:Blue,FONT:bold),RIGHT, |

TRN,#ORDINAL(7)

STRING(’(Tagged)’),AT(227,163),USE(?STRING3),TRN,#ORDINAL(8)

CHECK(’ Priority’),AT(303,163,44),USE(LOC:Filter),FONT(,COLOR:Red,FONT:bold), |

MSG(‘Check this box to see Must Resolve symptoms’),TIP('Check this box ’ & |

’to see Must Resolve symptoms’),TRN,#ORDINAL(9)

CHECK(’ Thyroid’),AT(7,163,42),USE(LOC:Thyroid),TRN,#ORDINAL(10)

CHECK(’ Adrenal’),AT(57,163,40),USE(LOC:Adrenal),TRN,#ORDINAL(11)

END

TAB(‘Not Active’),USE(?TAB2),#ORDINAL(12)

END

END

BUTTON(’&Add’),AT(1,213,40,12),USE(?Insert),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT,ICON(‘ico\add.ico’), |

#LINK(?Change),#ORIG(?Insert),#SEQ(2),#ORDINAL(13)

BUTTON(’&Update’),AT(41,213,40,12),USE(?Change),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT, |

ICON(‘ico\change.ico’),DEFAULT,#LINK(?Delete),#ORIG(?Change),#SEQ(2),#ORDINAL(14)

BUTTON(’&Delete’),AT(81,213,40,12),USE(?Delete),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT, |

ICON(‘ico\delete.ico’),#LINK(?Insert),#ORIG(?Delete),#SEQ(2),#ORDINAL(15)

BUTTON(’&Query’),AT(121,213,40,12),USE(?Query),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT,ICON(‘ico\query2.ico’), |

#ORIG(?Query),#SEQ(9),#ORDINAL(16)

BUTTON(’&Select’),AT(201,213,40,12),USE(?Select),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT, |

ICON(‘ico\select.ico’),#ORIG(?Select),#SEQ(3),#ORDINAL(17)

BUTTON(‘Close’),AT(354,213,74,12),USE(?Close),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT,ICON(‘ico\exit.ico’), |

#ORIG(?Close),#SEQ(4),#ORDINAL(18)

PROMPT(‘Symptom:’),AT(51,5,35),USE(?Sym:Symptom:Prompt),#ORDINAL(19)

TEXT,AT(3,176,349,25),USE(Sym:Notes),COLOR(00F0FFFFh),READONLY,#ORDINAL(20)

STRING(@s125),AT(34,202,318),USE(Sym:Source),FONT(,00006400h,FONT:bold),#ORDINAL(21)

STRING(‘Source:’),AT(2,202),USE(?STRING2),FONT(,000045FFh,FONT:bold),#ORDINAL(22)

BUTTON(’&Tag’),AT(354,45,74,12),USE(?TagOne),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),MSG(‘Tag this item’), |

TIP(‘Tag this item’),#ORIG(?TagOne),#SEQ(7),#ORDINAL(23)

BUTTON(’&Untag’),AT(354,75,74,12),USE(?UntagOne),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),MSG(‘Untag this item’), |

TIP(‘Untag this item’),#ORIG(?UntagOne),#SEQ(7),#ORDINAL(24)

BUTTON(‘Tag &All’),AT(354,60,74,12),USE(?TagAll),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),MSG(‘Tag all items’), |

TIP(‘Tag all items’),#ORIG(?TagAll),#SEQ(7),#ORDINAL(25)

BUTTON(‘Unta&g All’),AT(354,90,74,12),USE(?UntagAll),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT), |

MSG(‘Untag all items’),TIP(‘Untag all items’),#ORIG(?UntagAll),#SEQ(7),#ORDINAL(26)

BUTTON(‘Show Tagged’),AT(354,30,74,12),USE(?OptFilterButton),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT), |

MSG(‘Show “All” or “Only Tagged” items?’),#ORIG(?OptFilterButton),#SEQ(8),#ORDINAL(27)

STRING(@s100),AT(100,18,329),USE(Sym:Description),FONT(,COLOR:Maroon),#ORDINAL(28)

BUTTON(‘Print’),AT(161,213,40,12),USE(?BUTTON1),FONT(,8,CHARSET:DEFAULT),LEFT, |

ICON(ICON:Print),#ORDINAL(29)

END

Your code pasted with Typesetter quotes. Maybe if you used the Code Format </> button it would have stayed as 7 bit ASCII code text with Chr(39) for quotes.

I see the same dotted line in 11.13505. I tried adding an Icon on line 2 hoping that would draw around both lines but it displayed the same.

When I remove the Icon in column 1 then the dotted line only draws around the columns with Icons NTS - P. That seems bug worthy. Its a little hard to screen capture since it only shows with focus.

Use WIN+Shift+S – to invoke windows built in screen capture

or use the windows built in “Snipping Tool”
and set the Delay to 1,2,3,4 or 5 seconds
click new
and quick give focus back to your program

1 Like

The dotted line only encircles a single row, despite the record being 2 rows deep.

Here’s another screen capture using Snagit magnifier:

Even if the farthest left field containing an icon attribute is at the bottom, the dotted line still encircles only 1 row.

If the field with an icon attribute is located in the middle, that’s where the dotted line starts, as you can see below:

I should have said I used Windows Snip & Sketch which has a 3 or 10 second delay option so I could put focus on the Window.

I mainly wanted to point out the problem line seems to be a Focus Rectangle, maybe there is a way to turn that off.

A workaround was posted in sv.clarion.clarion10

Subject: Re: Dotted line does not surround all rows of a highlighted record (0/1) (0/1) From: Jeff Easlick <jeaslic1@*..com> Sat, Jun 5 2021 9:29 pm

Yes, the app that Geoff sent me MultiRowBrowse_GeoffB.zip (101.5 KB) gave me enough information to get the dotted line to stretch around both rows and even accomodate the other icon’d fields that were located in the middle of the listbox.

I had to add ALL of the fields into ONE group, then add a dummy field in column 1 and a placeholder field to line up the top and bottom ‘second columns’ on row 1 and 2 (Symptom and Category were above and below each other once again).

Having additional icon’d fields did make it a bit more challenging. When I attempted to place them into their own Group, the dotted line then formed around them in a single row.

In order to split the rows, I checked the LastOnLine attribute in the Symptom field.

In contrast to the original, the headers and data for Nts, Thy, Adr, etc were all shifted to the second row. This is acceptable. I think moving forward, I’ll find ways to create columns with just “Y” or “N” as string fields and move away from using icons, at least until SV decides to fix this. Since I often use Super Tagging, I’ll still have to craft each listbox when 2 rows are necessary, as I have always preferred to place that field as the number 1 column.

The other, more drastic workaround is to just stick with Clarion 8.

As the one who posted the original PTSS, I am confused just trying to think about this work around.
If indeed the bug was NOT in Clarion 8, it would seem that SV could look back and figure out what changed and is now the cause of the problem.