Sql issue on app - Connection failed Sql server error 3

Hi guys

I have had a clarion 10 app changed from tps to sql. Had someone do this for me. I know nothing about sql
management.

The windows sql server is on a virtual Windows 10 machine.

We have various user pc,s on the lan trying to run the app and some work but some give an error like

Connection failed
Sql state 01000
Sql server error 3
Microsoft odbc server
Driver dbnetlib connection open (connect)
Connection failed
Sql state 08001
Microsoft odbc server
Driver dbnetlib sql server does not exist or access denied

It looks to me there are 2 errors here. Any idea where I should be looking for them. Is this likely to be I the clarion app or the sql settings.

Suggestions welcome.

I think is a first for me, wiki with coding stuff.
SQLSTATE - Wikipedia

Troubleshoot connectivity issues in SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

How to fix “SQL Server does not exist or access denied” (sqlserverlogexplorer.com)

Possibly a firewall / AV issue on those systems that don’t connect

Thanks for this. We put the sql on a local machine. Not virtual. This worked fine. There was/is something blocking machines seeing the sql server. Telnet failed.

We think there must be something at the virtual server side blocking connections to the sql on the virtual machine.

What sort of virtual server is it, there are a lot of varieties out there and MS Windows will control the networking of virtual machines running on the desktop, its part of their “security” measures?

I will find out more on Monday and advise.

If its a virtual server hosted on the internet in some data centre then there will almost certainly be some sort of firewall to deal with through some sort of management console like Plesk and others.

If its on-premises, then they could be running some rack servers with “bare metal” virtualisation like VMware Hypervisor, so that could mean a firewall but also simply network segmentation on the hypervisor and/or with actual network switches. Things like vlans, subnet masks, depending on the switch you can control what (ethernet) ports can be used and what cant if there are any spare and get notified immediately when someone plugs a ethernet cable into one of the spare ports. There’s lots of things that can be done with a network switch which some consider to be a form of hardware firewalling in its own right. Its how I caught a setup TV box trying to connect to my desktop, they were on separate subnet masks and shouldnt have known about each other, but there was a leak somewhere, but I suspect the actual firewall was hacked, however some TV’s can accept Over The Air (OTA) Terrestrial DVB-T & DVB-T2 updates and with HDMI cables supporting networking, there’s an attack vector right there straight into someone’s living room or boardroom! :astonished:

What Is Network Segmentation? - Cisco