Window Rendering Issues

I have just upgraded my system from Windows 7 (yes that’s right) to 10. What I have found is that while I can load Clarion and an application I am unable to get it to render any Window. All it does is attempt to do something and then just remains at the place where I attempted to open the window. This happens with all types of windows, using a template or in the source code. I am guessing there is a missing dependency but I have re-installed an its made no difference. This is the case in both Clarion 10 and 11, the system does generate an XLOG file but its not hugely helpful. Anyone got any ideas, would be really grateful.

Version: 10.0.12567 Enterprise
(c) 2001-2016 SoftVelocity

02/01/2024 - 8:09 PM

Clarion Version : 10.0.0.12567
.NET Version : 4.0.30319.42000
OS Version : Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Current culture : English (United States) (en-US)
Working Set Memory : 435812kb
GC Heap Memory : 13993kb

Unhandled Exceptions
UnhandledException caught in QuietMode do not Terminate

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException

Exception thrown:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object args)
at ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Gui.WorkbenchSingleton.STAThreadCaller.Call(Delegate method, Object arguments)
at ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Gui.WorkbenchSingleton.SafeThreadFunction[A,B,R](Func`3 method, A arg1, B arg2)
at SoftVelocity.Generator.UI.ApplicationMainWindowControl_ViewContent.OpenWindowFormatter(String name, IFormatter generator)
at SoftVelocity.Generator.UI.GeneratorBinding.OpenWindowFormatter(String name, IFormatter generator)
at Clarion.GEN.GeneratorUI.OpenWindowFormatter(GeneratorUI* , IFormatterRequester* gen)

So it turns out that its a rights issue and if clarion is run as administrator then it works fine. For the moment I have changed the requestedExecutionLevel entry in the manifest file, maybe it was the initial installation that was a different level to the current user.

If by “render a window” you mean the window preview in the IDE… as I recall that requires .Net version 2 be installed.

1 Like

That’s likely a result of the installation and the user privileges. Be careful because really odd things can happen if clarion is run as admin. I had that problem early on for some reason, and it caused me all sorts of grief because the files created were owned by admin and clarion has an admin view of the machine, which may not match your (user) view, particularly network drives.
I’d try very hard to ensure that everything is owned by a normal user.

And that would require ensuring that Clarion is NOT installed in a UAC protected folder, such as Program Files.

Because of the way Clstion works, installjng it into Program Files is not ideal.

Program Files is for programs, not data. But some files (like the trmplate registry) are data. And, I’d argue, the templates and classes are data as well.

So, i recommend installing into c:\clarion10

This has the added bonus of installing examples into \clarion10\examples which makes them easy to find.

Clarion has never been loaded in the program files folder, its on a separate drive. I think its a dependency that was loaded with the upgrade that has caused this and it affects only 10 and 11. Previous versions, 8, 9 and 9.1, work fine. I am the only user of this machine and my account is an administrator account so one would think that this should not be an issue but it happens. At some point I will completely uninstall and re-install and see if that helps but for the moment there is a solution.