List Format Parser - Split Columns into Lines for View, Edit, Compare also List Previewer

On Friday Clarion Live #604 showed my List Format Parser tool at 37 minutes in.

What it does is split the Format into one Column per Line which makes it easy to view and understand. This is formatted to paste into the Window… Editor over the ,FORMAT(), as shown below. In this case I wanted to review all the @n numeric pictures to be sure they were big enough and add commas by removing the leading “_”.

I also noticed the three [ Groups ] had a (Size) defined (73) (74) (73). That can happen dragging columns in the List Formatter. I delete those so the Group is the size of the columns it contains.

This one column per line code format also works much better for source comparison to see what column changed. There is an example in the GitHub Readme.

1 Like

Since Friday I added Data Rows to my LIST Preview window. I highlight modifiers. Colored * cells are Red. Z Styles Teal and Y Styles are Green on Yellow, not sure about those choices… suggestons? Icons and Trees show.

I wanted Numeric Pictures to show the maximum size of the picture that can be displayed retaining 1000s grouping commas e.g. @n13.2 shows “1,234,567.12”. trying to make it easy to see if the format allows enough digits.

This is a crazy large List Format someone posted on Discuss SV that was getting an Invalid Format error. I used this tool to guess the columns with [1] [2] [3] in the heading were the problem. Being able to Preview and see his LIST was interesting …

A use for this is you see a LIST changed in source control. You can paste it into this tool and display a preview to see the actual LIST, both before and after if you run it twice.

If you try the Previewer and have some comments about how you would like the data displayed, or run into any problems, please post here?

2 Likes

A Source Comparison example from today. The below LIST Format was changed by another developer. Impossible to understand in source format wrapped.

Split into lines can easily see a [ Group ] “Employee Information” was added around existing fields, which had their heading changed. The Group has a (size) (208) I like to remove.

You can preview both before and after to visually see the LIST Format. The bottom is the newer LIST with the first 5 columns in a new Group.

2 Likes

You are a tool producing machine.

1 Like

Ctrl+Shift+F1 true time saver.
Thank you Carl.

Thank you! You are talking about my Window Preview Class that was also shown in #604. I use it so much I wonder how I lived without it.

The name is kind of confusing. It originally was just for Window Preview but then I realized it would be useful at runtime on a “live” window. I’m thinking of renaming it “Window 411 Class” as in 411 = Slag for Information. In presentations I can use other hip slag like “let’s use Window 411 to give you the Low Down on this List Control”

Or perhaps “WnFrlvn” for Bruce :slight_smile: