Unusual type conversion - String datafield

Last resort was tying to set it to space. Can’t use any string variable either, same message. Deleted field in dictionary and readded. Cleaned, rebuilt app no luck. The window is a LIST control with Drop 3 for the 3 values listed. Also, I have the SAME data field (configured the same) in another table that is not showing this issue. Can someone shed some light on where to look for this problem?

Are you sure it is not really objecting to the next line, where it looks like you are assigning a string theory object to a column in the file?

Jezzz. . .New to stringtheory. I need to get the “string” out of datastr. datastr.GetValue() works.

This may help you

It’s good to check if .LoadFile failed as seen on this ST heavy tool. I wrote this code, for Bruce failure is not an option.

  If ~str.loadfile(incFileName) Then    !Carl catch that Load failed and tell user
      WriteOut('Operation aborted. Failed to Load INC File: '& clip(incFileName))
      WriteOut(Str.LastError)
      If str.winErrorCode Then
         WriteOut('Win Error Code: '& str.winErrorCode &': '& str.FormatMessage(str.WinErrorCode))
      End
      WriteOut('Press Enter to continue')
      FreeConsole()
      Return
  End

Thanks, my initial issue is resolved and code/process is working.

I am not really sure what you are trying to do (and you have said that it is now working) but I suspect your line where you have

splitLine.setValue(datastr.getLine(1))

should be

splitLine.setValue(datastr.getLine(currentRecord))

OR

perhaps you don’t want a loop at all and just want to check the first line

All working. . .got StringTheory for a delayed project of ripping money transactions from multiple delimited files all with different formats. Read all the properties and methods, once I got passed that initial effort all is fine. Great price for the amount of time this is saving.