Working with DNG photos

I need to display thumbnail versions of DNG photos in my Clarion 11 app. It doesn’t look like Clarion supports DNG filetypes natively and Clarion Freeimage doesn’t appear to either.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Will Chrome display them? If so, perhaps Chrome Explorer would work?

Apparently it’s not natively supported, but maybe you could use ImageMagick to convert? https://www.imagemagick.org/include/formats.php

I asked the ImageEx people ages ago, they said the might support w/ next release (v6) - haven’t heard much since then. www.ClarionProSeries.com

Will Chrome display them? If so, perhaps Chrome Explorer would work?

I’ve been Googling. I doesn’t appear to. And when I drop a DNG into Chrome, it offers to save it rather than display it like it does supported image types. Too bad because I use Chrome Explorer in this app for other purposes.

Apparently it’s not natively supported, but maybe you could use ImageMagick to convert?

Hmmm. That might work but I’ll have to see whether there’s a performance hit.

Thanks.

Is Charles still working on ImageEx? I’ll ping him on Skype.

I’m sure that there would be some sort of delay.

FreeImage does list DNG. Maybe it would not be that much work to get it working in ClarionFreeImage?

If there are chromium browser extensions for this (“dng viewer” or similar) then you highly likely can display DNGs in Easy Edge.

yes as Jeff says, if you look at The FreeImage Project it mentions:

FreeImage can load RAW files from digital photo cameras (CRW/CR2, NEF, RAF, DNG, MOS, KDC, DCR, etc), virtually all RAW formats are supported.

Also the docs mention DNG in the list of the camera RAW formats supported by
the RAW plugin:

Adobe Digital Negative: DNG is publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras. By addressing the lack of an open standard for the raw files created by individual camera models, DNG helps ensure that photographers will be able to access their files in the future.

Anyway maybe check out

FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits

and

FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBitsEx

and see if either of them is helpful?

1 Like

FreeImage does list DNG. Maybe it would not be that much work to get it working in ClarionFreeImage

Interesting. But it’s likely more work than I have time or desire for.

If there are chromium browser extensions for this (“dng viewer” or similar) then you highly likely can display DNGs in Easy Edge.

Thanks Mike. For this specific purpose I don’t think that will work me.

Anyway maybe check out
FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits
FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBitsEx
and see if either of them is helpful?

Thanks for the suggestion. Displaying DNGs isn’t at the top of my priority list, so I’ll need to revisit this later.

I pinged Charles on the ClarionLive Skype group about this. The short answer is that there is no ETA for version 6 of ImageEx.

1 Like

for your information, there is a dll “libraw” for working with camera-photo files that can handle DNG.
I made an clarion interface with some features and it works, but very basic.

Good to know. Is that something that you’re willing to share with others?

Really what I did was very basic, but I can try to open a file and do something with it. Just for fun.
What do you want to do with the DNG files ?

I’m working on a small app that downloads photos from memory cards. It would be useful to display thumbnails either when downloading (if it doesn’t affect performance too much) or at least give users the option to check files visually rather than just by filename.

Leroy, do you have a dng file for experimenting??

Sure, I’ll DM you the link to a DNG file.

Leroy, do you have a dng file for experimenting??

I just came back to this thread and found that I had started a DM to you but didn’t click send. :man_facepalming:.

Check your DMs. Thank you.